Friday, December 14, 2018

Combating the Ho-Ho-Holiday Blues With Something a Little Cozy

 Ho-ho-ho, and Merry Christmas, readers! Nothing quite says Happy Holidays like a delicious and comfortable cozy mystery. A little cheer, and little food, and a little murder all mix together so well during the chilliest season of the year.

Personally, I love nothing more than curling up in front of a roaring fire (or in my case this year, a warm radiator) having some hot chocolate and a little popcorn while reading a good Christmas cozy mystery.

As many of you know, I spend my life writing cozies. I constantly am thinking up new ways for people to die as well as new ways to solve said murders. It is a fun if not daunting process.

However, something many of you might not know about me is my constant struggle with depression. Yes, yes, I know. Isn't it so cliche for the writer to fight their inner demons while trying to get their words on the page? Still, it is a real daily struggle that many people have to deal with, including myself. It is as real as fighting off daily migraines, gal bladder pain, back troubles or any other chronic condition.

I'm usually the sort of person who is against sharing personal trauma or struggle online, finding it a hollow attempt at a cry for help most of the time. However, seeing as I consider many of you friends, it seemed okay to do it this time of year--when the season is at its brightest.

As it is for many, this struggle becomes more acute during the holiday season--and this year has been one of the hardest holiday seasons of my life. Hubby is so darn supportive through all of this and I can't thank him enough. He is the light of my life and something to be happy about.

To make sure we get plenty of Christmas cheer together, we've attended the Nutcracker Ballet, gone hiking in the local forest that they string with Christmas lights each year, gone out for festive coffees, tried some seasonal beers, did Christmas shopping together, and so much more. In many ways, it has been an amazing time of happiness for us.

Still, having these struggles also means I write a little slower, my drafts aren't as clean, and the whole process of getting books out to you takes more time than usual. First and foremost, my apologies for that. I prefer to give you guys at least two or three new Christmas books a year, but this time around it looks like I'll only be able to manage one.

Ultimately, I wanted to write this little blog post as a way to say thank you. This is my Christmas card to you. I'm grateful for all the constant support you have given me this year by buying my cozy mysteries. I want to thank you for your patience during this time where I may not be writing as many books as usual. Know that I am never not working. I always have something new in the works--even if it comes a little slower.

Finally, I also want to thank my publisher, Summer Prescott who is always flexible and patient. She always treats me as capable and hard working (things I don't always believe about myself) and that gives me a big boost to get better and better stories out. Also, to my editor Gretchen Allen, who puts up with my minor gripes over edits and is always honest.

Merry Christmas, everyone, and I hope to put out many new books in the new year. 

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry for the suffering you are going through. So happy your husband is so supportive. I, too, have suffered depression and know it isn’t easy to battle. So happy that you are getting to do so many fun things together. I love your books and I am willing to wait for them. You come first. Always! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete